In the Teacher Training Program at the 2018 International Tango Summit in Los Angeles, teachers Christy Coté and George Garcia expressed their mantra for good Argentine tango as:
I agree with the importance of those points. Yet for me, Argentine tango feels all about Connnections:
- Myself – How am I feeling now? How do I want to feel?
- Music – Does this music speak to me? What is the story? Can I express it?
- My Partner – A clear, comfortable, and consistent Lead and Follow. How and when can I move to give my partner their greatest freedom of expression?
- La Ronda – Am I respecting the space for my partner couples fore and aft? The safety for all around us?
- The Venue – How can I express my appreciation for the hosts and the DJ? How can I add to the spirit of community?